Students will understand the basic structure and functions of the U.S. Constitution and explain the Constitutional Amendment Process.
SS.7.C.1.7: Describe how the Constitution limits the powers of government through separation of powers and checks and balances.
Task 1: Constitution Overview
1. Read the file to the right titled "Constitution Overview Reading" to get a basic idea of how the Constitution is organized.
2. Copy the "Constitution Overview Chart" (attached to the right) onto your paper. Fill in the chart using the reading above.
Task 2: Amending the Constitution
1. Read the file attached to right titled "Amending the Constitution Reading" and COPY THE CHART ON THE BOTTOM OF THE READING INTO YOUR WRITING FOLDER.
3. Why do you think the amendment process is more difficult than the process to pass a bill into a law?
4. Why do you think the founding fathers created the amendment process? Why is it important to be able to change the Constitution?
Task 3: Review Activities
In your writing folder, answer the questions attached to the right titled "Overview Review Questions."
Task 4: Constitutions around the World
In what ways does the U.S. Constitution borrow from other cultures/ideas?
In what way is the U.S. Constitution unique?
What impact did the U.S. Constitution have around the world?
Directions: OPEN THE PHOTON APP in order to play one of the following games: Lawcraft, Executive Command, Supreme Decision, or Branches of Power. Answer the following questions in your writing folder:
1. Which game did you play?
2. Which branch (or branches) of government did you learn about in the game?
3. What Article of the Constitution matches up with your game?
4. Write a brief summary of what you learned about this branch of government by playing the game.