Learning Goal: Students will be able to compare the structure of the Federal and State governments (Constitutions, lawmaking process, obligations and services.)
SS.7.C.3.13: Compare the constitutions of the United States and Florida.
SS.7.C.3.4: Identify the relationship and division of powers between the federal government and state governments.
SS.7.C.3.14: Differentiate between local, state, and federal governments' obligations and services.
Students will be able to compare the structure of the Federal and State governments (Constitutions, lawmaking process, obligations and services.)
Task 1: Comparing Constitutions Introduction
the Florida Constitution. Box the parts that are the same in both documents up on the white board.
Task 2: Comparing Constitutions (continued)
I will pass out a copy of the file attached to the right (Comparing Constitutions) to every student in class. You will be reading through excerpts (parts) of the U.S. and Florida Constitutions in order to compare and contrast them. You will write your responses on your handout at your desk.
Task 3: Comparing Supreme Courts
U.S. Supreme Court Justices serve for life once nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate. However, they may retire if they wish. They can also be impeached and removed from the court if they do not maintain “good behavior.” There is one Chief Justice and 8 Associate Justices, for a total of 9 Supreme Court Justices.
Task 4: Comparing State Constitutions in the United States
- What is the average length of a state constitution? How does this compare to the U.S. Constitution and why do you think this is?
- Which state constitution is the longest?
- How many times has the average state constitution been amended? How does this compare to the U.S. Constitution? Why do you think there is such a big difference?
- What is the oldest state constitution in the United States? The newest?
- Pick any two state constitutions of your choice and compare and contrast them. Find at least three ways they are similar and at least three ways they are different. Why do you think this is?