Learning Goal: Students will be able to compare different forms and systems of government.
SS.7.C.3.1: Compare different forms of government (direct democracy, representative democracy, socialism, communism, monarchy, oligarchy, autocracy).
SS.7.C.3.2: Compare parliamentary, federal, confederal, and unitary systems of government.
Citizenship Quiz in class
Forms of Government Prezi
Use the prezi (to the left) to take notes on the different forms of government. Label these notes "Forms of Government" in your notebook. At the end of the Prezi are a series of examples about different countries called "Identify that Government." Based on the examples, figure out which form(s) of government those countries have, or had in the past.
Day 2 Introduction Questions
1.Which form of government, that we’ve covered so far, do you think is the best? Explain why.
2.Which form of government, that we’ve covered so far, do you think is the worst? Explain why.
Watch the video to the right to help with the "Forms of Government Practice" above if necessary.
Responsibilities vs. Obligations Kahoot Review
2) WHEN YOUR ARE FINISHED: Trade your notebook with your shoulder partner and peer edit their writing response. Check for grammar and make sure what they wrote is correct using your own notes. Offer any suggestions as to how to make their response better.
Choose two of the forms of government you have learned about during this lesson. Write two paragraphs that compare and contrast these forms of government, using specific evidence to explain what the two forms have in common and what makes them different from each other.
“It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.” (Winston Churchill, former British prime minister). Using information you have learned about different forms of government, explain why Churchill would make this statement.
“A rich uncle you never knew you had, leaves you and your sibling (your shoulder partner) a tropical island paradise in his will. Many people want to move to this beautiful island, but you have to decide how you want to run your new government."
Your task is below:
- Describe what type, or types, of government you would want to have on your island. (you can make up your own unique hybrid government by borrowing from multiple types)
- Explain why you think this type of government would work best for your island.
- What could go wrong with this type of government?
- If your government fails, what type of government would you have as a backup plan?
Government around the world...
- Find at least three countries that have the same government as the United States. Write down the names of those countries. Then, click on the country to figure out which region, or part of the world, the country is located in.
- Try to find 1-2 examples of the following types of government: Communism, Theocracy, Monarchy, and ONE other of your choice. Also write down the names of those countries AND their regions.
- What type(s) of government are MOST common around the world?
- What types(s) of government are LEAST common around the world?