1) Students will be able to compare different forms and systems of government.
Today we'll look briefly at different SYSTEMS of Government, which means we'll be learning about different ways of how governments are organized.
Watch the video to the right.
1) On a loose leaf sheet of paper, draw a picture for each of the following systems of government that describes what it would look like in a society.
2) For each of your pictures (above) write down an example of a country that has this system.
CLICK HERE TO FIND A LIST OF COUNTRIES AND THEIR SYSTEM OF GOVERNMENT
Task 2: Enlightenment Pic Collage
Now that we've learned about different forms of government, we should all know what an Absolute Monarchy is.
Kings and Queens ruled Europe for centuries before the settlement of the American Colonies. When America was first settled by Europeans, the people were still ruled by kings. So how did we end up with the government we have today?
Today we'll learn about how the Enlightenment Movement which would eventually inspire American Colonists to start a revolution and change their form of government.
1) Read pages 87-89 in your Civics textbook starting with "Influence of the Enlightenment" AND the file attached below titled "Enlightenment Reading."
2) Create a pic collage that summarizes the impact that the Enlightenment philosophers had on our American Revolution.
I'VE CREATED A TEMPLATE (the image to the right) that you can use to get started. It starts with an Absolute Monarchy and ends with American Revolution. Notice that there aren't any images or descriptions for any of the Enlightenment thinkers. You'll have to add these on your pic collage.
3) Your Pic Collage should include pertinent images and summaries of the following Enlightenment thinkers:
A) Thomas Hobbes
B) John Locke
C) Baron de Montesquieu
D) Jean-Jacques Rousseau
4) Post your Pic Collage to your class Padlet page! (class pages to the right)